Aug 3, 2014

An auto driver taught me the lesson of life- A short story

On a pleasant saturday night, I'm in a hurry to reach the theatre. All the auto rickshaws I stop the driver says ''Return savaari varaadhu sir!''. So what can I do? I can't go to the place he desires. Every Chennaite will understand my problem.  Finally an auto driver accepted to go the theatre. He smiled at us as I and my cousin hopped in. And turned the meter on. As I already booked the tickets online, I felt a bit relaxed. A few minutes passed, the auto goes in a moderate speed. And I could look through the rear view mirror the driver was still smiling. I had a mild doubt whether he was drunk, but there was no sign of alcohol smell on him. But he seemed abnormal! The dirver broke the ice and started a conversation. ''Going to watch movie Sir?''. I replied with an yes. My cousin whispered into my ears ''For what else would one go to theatre, for eating popcorn?'' I and my cousin giggled. ''Is it late for the movie sir?''. ''No, we are not so late'' replied my cousin as he was gazing the empty streets. ''Oh okay sir, I actually drive only for long distances, but you seemed to be in a hurry to so I accepted''. ''Oh, Thankyou! And you take only night rides?'' I questioned him. ''No sir I'm 24/7 without sleep, sometimes even a day!''. My cousin chuckled. But his words were not like that of a Liar's. ''Are you serious'' I asked him. ''Yes sir, strong body'' he said with a pride. I feared whether he was a drug addict or something. ''Have you ever dozed while driving? Or do you smoke to get rid of it?''. No sir never! Sleep and hunger won't distract me. Auto is my life it makes me forget everything''. ''So you didn't even eat?''. ''No Sir, I don't feel hungry, if I find a road-side hotel while driving, I eat there once in a day only for metabolism''. But he didn't seem like an auto-addict either. But I was very sure he was abnormal. I felt a bit insecure too. Then what in earth gives him high? There must be something nor one can't do the same odd job everyday without rest. Thankgod we reached our destination. My cousin gave a sigh of relief. I gave him the exact fare, he accepted it with a broad smile and said ''If I go a little further there's my mother-in-law's house''. ''Cool, then go take rest, have dinner and start your routine from morning''. ''Ha ha No sir, it's actually ex mother-in-law, My wife divorced me a few years back''. From then on auto became my home, my companion and my everything. But it couldn't replace my wife''. I was dumb-stuck.
I and my cousin entered the theatre, but I couldn't concentrate on the movie, all that was running in my mind was the Auto Driver. Have you ever drove your car back to your home thinking of something and wondered "How the hell did I reach my place?". Maybe that was the case of his. From that day on I realized, alcohol and drugs are not the only things that ruins you as you get addicted. Being affectionate on someone unreasonably will also make you an addict and ruin you as they walk out of your life.
                                   -THE END-                                                              
                                                                                                                                     -Lohithaksha S
                                                                                                                             (A leaf from my diary)                                                                                                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment