Mar 14, 2015

Samosa - A short story

Ayya here is today’s earnings” shouted young Velu from the door-step.
“Drop it in the box as usual” retorted his boss from a distant, chewing betel nut .
Each vendor had his own box respectfully, a piggy bank sort of, in which they had to drop the day’s earnings. This was their routine.
Velu dropped the money. “So did you sell extra samosas today?” asked Ayya.
“No Ayya, you know the summer has started and the trains are too crowded nowadays”,Velu expressed with grief.
“Alright! Alright! don’t feel shy to shout, be active with your customers”
“Okay Ayya I’ll leave now” Velu walked out of the house.
The next day Velu started with his job, crying aloud “Samosa! Samosa! 4 for 10! 4 for 10! Sir! Madam! Hot and spicy samosa!”.Velu finished his job as the sun descended down the horizon. After entrusting the earnings to his employer, he met his friends in the theatre as they planned. Velu’s only outlet was cinema. He spared a little money apart from the savings to watch a movie at least, once in a month.
“Didn’t get the tickets? Is it housefull?” Velu enquired his friend.
“No! the movie has been banned” reported his friend. Velu returned back almost devastated.
The next day after finishing his job, he went to Ayya’s house and dropped the day’s money. “Stop Velu!” yelled ayya. Velu’s heart started to beat fast against his chest.
Ayya proceeded in a loud voice, “How much did you drop today?”.
“300 Rupees Ayya”
“Yesterday?”
"As usual 300 Ayya”
“No you didn’t drop 300 yesterday!”
“I promise Ayya I dropped 300”.
“No! what if I prove you wrong? Will you quit this job and give back all the belongings and walk out? I thought you’d be loyal to me, that’s the reason I never check the money you drop”, Ayya flared in fury.
“Ayya I’m sorry, but I didn’t spend a penny from the earnings that day! what would I do without this job?”velu’s eyes almost welled up.
“Go to your mansion! Sleep! Think well and come here tomorrow”
“Okay Ayya” Velu left the place petrified. He felt a lump in his throat which he couldn’t swallow. He ransacked his whole room in the mansion as soon as he reached, waking up his room-mates. He checked his savings and it had the same amount that he had the previous day. He enquired his friends about the missing money. But it turned out to be futile as everyone was proved innocent. He mumbled in a low voice“two 50 rupee notes, ten 10 rupee notes, one 100 rupee note as far as I remember. I would have dropped a note somewhere on the street maybe. God please save me from this!”.  Velu dozed off crying.
       The next day as usual after selling all the samosas, he went to Ayya’s house. “Did you recall anything at all?” asked Ayya with a crooked smile. “No Ayya, forgive me please! It is due to my negligence! here is some money from my savings, I would have missed the money on the street or in train. Please don’t throw me out of this job Ayya!” begged Velu as tears warmed up his cheeks. Ayya suddenly burst into laughter. “Calm down Idiot! You dropped 400 rupees! 100 Rupees more than the normal amount. What if this had happened while selling Samosas? What if you had returned extra money to the customers, do you think they will give you back? Be cautious while handling money, this is business! Never make this mistake again!” smiled Ayya handing a 100 rupee note to Velu.

-THE END-

- Lohithaksha Sreedharan
Edited by: Nivetha Sivasamy

2 comments:

  1. A short and sweet story... Fells good after reading it. Thumbs up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete